Monday, November 1, 2010

Don't act don't tell

I see that Obama hinted that he's coming around on the issue of gay marriage. At first, it seemed like great news, and like Dylan, I wondered why it didn't get more media coverage. Thinking about it a bit more, this may be a rare case where I actually agree with the media. Who cares what Obama says about gay marriage?

Obama voiced support for repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell and the Defense Of Marriage Act. He has also voiced support for the public option, closing Guantanamo, and increasing transparency by limiting the state secret claim. What do we have to show for it? If I was a cynic--oh, that's right, I am--I would claim that his opposition to gay marriage during his campaign was targeted to woo independent voters, and this change of mind is just an effort to fire up the base for the midterm election. Lame.

It will be newsworthy if Obama's words are ever translated into action. In the meantime, I am proposing a new White House policy--no more talking about things you're not willing to back up. I call it Don't Act Don't Tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment